Thursday, November 25, 2004

What's in a name?

...What's in one of my names, rather, is the question! So, here goes:

When I was a student of (Bapatla) Engineering College, I used to spend most of my time in the Computer Center (CC, as we used to call it). Students of my batch nicknamed me "CC Kiran" at that time. We had C programming language as a part of curriculum, by the way. Someone noticed that I wrote my name as "Kiran.C", (short for "Kiran Chakravarthula", actually, that's how I used to write it) and thought that I was so immersed in C programming that I, by mistake, wrote my name in the "filename.c" format! That's when "CC Kiran" transformed into ".C Kiran" (read as "dot-C Kiran"). Later, my friends saw that I was good at C programming, (by the time they saw me working with graphics and felt that I was good, I was actually not good at C... that was BASIC graphics that I was working on!) and then "dot-C" became a complimenting nickname for me. Eventually, I became a better programmer in C language and rose up to the level of deserving the name (in 1995, in Bapatla, which means I need not be a real geek!).

That's the story of my name ".C", which I use on my books and belongings, and also on my website, as a "trademark". (The "!" beside the "TM" indicates the exclamation in having a person's name as "trade"mark.)

As a sidenote, there's another guy in Chicago that I met on chat a few years ago, who was called "dotC" in engineering (reason unknown), and then there's another school-junior of mine who was also called "dotC" for the same reason as mine.

1 comment:

oremuna said...

Even I was called dotC for some time, then people liked Chava

Kiran . C

(kiran.chava)